A lot to unpack today, starting with Mercury—which in the language of astrology refers to mindset, travel and communication. It is now retrograde (as of Sunday at 7:15 PM ET) and will appear to move backward through the sky until August 1st. It’s not really moving backward, but that is how it looks from our perspective here on Spaceship Earth. Mercury goes retrograde 3-4 times each year, for a period of 22 days.
On the second of its three retrogrades of 2019, Mercury starts at 4 Leo and moves backwards into Cancer. In Leo, Mercury is not interested in sorting through data and analyzing it, as much as it is interested in declaring what it knows to be true, with pride and regal flair. When a planet stations and turns on a particular degree, picture an impatient driver leaning on the horn. It’s a point of focus, right? Perhaps the Sabian Symbol for this degree offers clues. It is “rock formations at the edge of a precipice” and it was the one of the focal points during last July’s lunar eclipse. Therefore, anyone with a planet or angle around 4 degrees of Leo, Aquarius, Taurus and Scorpio may experience a rush of information and/or action right about now.
Of this particular Sabian Symbol, Blain Bovee notes that these “large, hard stones…may be teetering…on the brink of a deep fall.” A “precipice” is a high vertical or overhanging face of rock, suggesting a perilous situation. Yes, indeed — judging from many headlines hitting the wires in recent days. But did you know that the word “precarious” originally meant “to be obtained by begging,” thus suggesting an “uncertainty in one’s sense of existing.” Contemplate that for the next three weeks, with respect to wherever Mercury falls in your horoscope. Bovee’s book is chock full of wonderful bits of wisdom.
Here’s how to handle Mercury retrograde — regardless of what sign it’s in:
Contrary to popular belief, Mercury retrograde is no reason to freak out. Mercury retrograde gets a bad rap because we are geared, in this crazy modern age, to always be thinking, doing, moving FORWARD. You know what that gets you? BURN OUT. We need our down times, and Mercury retrograde is a perfect time to give our minds a rest. Why else would your computer, phone and/or car choose THIS time to malfunction? Because you are supposed to be slowing down. And as you slow down, it is vitally important that you FOCUS.
When Mercury is retrograde, be prepared for travel delays, scheduling screw-ups, mechanical breakdowns, computer crashes, having to repeat what you’ve just said, misunderstandings, the past coming back for a second look, surprise reunions and having to repeat what you just said. Use your FOCUS and double check important details, like whether the restaurant you’ve chosen for a meet-up is still in business. Or whether it is booked for a commercial shoot or a private party — all of which has happened to me during Mercury retrogrades.
If you are looking for a job, Mercury retrogrades are a perfect time to reach out to people from your past. Mine your address book and trust that your contacts will be happy to hear from you. However, do not be frustrated if your target is away on vacation or keeps rescheduling meetings. Also, triple check your emails and resumes before you hit “send,” as there is a higher probability of typos and other sloppy snafus.
In your business, you’ll need to make sure all communications have been received and are clearly understood. Be mindful of the higher potential for communications equipment to go on the fritz. MAKE SURE YOUR FILES ARE BACKED UP. Also be aware of a higher than average probability for delays in shipping and travel arrangements. For this you will need an extra dose of patience.
You may also find it profitable to REview a project from the past. Maybe you shelved it then, but now is the time to REconsider. However, be advised that a spontaneously, “out-of-the-blue” idea for advancement may not be so sound when Mercury turns direct. This is why the conventional wisdom advises against finalizing and/or signing contracts on deals during Mercury retrograde. An exception might be supported if you are REnegotiating or RElocating. If you absolutely must close a deal, triple check everything. The key is not to RUSH.
This is a good time to schedule a corporate REtreat. Any activity that affords the opportunity to REview past performance is encouraged. REsearch on a new strategy is also favored.
Mercury retrogrades are not favored for launching a new website or a new communications systems. There is a higher than average probability of technical glitches and confusion. REvisions, however, are A-OK.
In general, adopt a playful attitude of flexibility to whatever twists you encounter. Avoid making major purchases (especially electronic ones). Don’t believe everything you hear or read in the papers. Rumors have a higher probability of spreading during Mercury retrogrades. Avoid losing patience — that’s a big one.
When in doubt, be silent!
Do plan on RElaxing, REviewing, REsearching, REorganizing, REgenerating, REconnecting and REcreating….and REviewing your life with your astrologer.
Would you like to know how this Mercury retrograde will activate your horoscope? Toss $44 into my Cosmic Tip Jar and email me your birth time, place and date. I will email you a few paragraphs of insights in a day or so. If that link gives you trouble, there’s another link at the bottom of this email (if you’re receiving this forecast via email). For a more detailed discussion about all of the planetary patterns that are hot in your horoscope, here’s the 411.
Ohhhhh-Kay! Now for the rest of this jam-packed week:
- MONDAY — Moon is in Libra, driving the day with a need for fairness and balance. At 11:31 AM ET Venus (women) was sextile (harmonizing) with Uranus, disruptor of the status quo and champion of a level playing field. You better believe those women soccer players who just won the World Cup — again! — deserve equal pay; not now, but RIGHT NOW. At 6:28 PM ET, a verbal assault may take no prisoners, as Mercury and Mars meet up in drama queen Leo.
- TUESDAY — The day begins with the streamlined challenge of the First Quarter Moon, followed by Moon’s weekly clash with Saturn. Oh wait there’s more, as kings and CEOs may be feeling the squeeze of the Saturn’s annual face-off with the Sun, exact at 1:07 PM ET. Saturn suggests limits and structure; the Sun refers to vitality. What heavy reach for ambition and/or heartless cut will make news today? At 3:35 PM ET, Moon goes void on its weekly clash with Pluto, suggesting a catharsis or power play in the name of the Libra Moon’s quest for fairness and balance. Chill during the void and roll with the twists and flakes that may arise, especially since Mercury is retrograde!
- WEDNESDAY — Enough with the talk, as the Moon plunges into the emotional depths of Scorpio at 5:29 AM ET. You’ll get less resistance in the morning hours ET; the afternoon features dynamic clashes between the Moon, Mercury and Mars — all in Fixed Signs, suggesting a resistance to give in with all parties concerned. At 4:20 PM ET, rebel Uranus happily shakes up an impasse, clearing the way for a beautiful escape, truce or display of compassion…which is somehow part of a daring initiative or technological breakthrough. This would be the upside potential of two patterns exact on…
- THURSDAY — as the nurturing Cancer Sun makes beautiful music with Neptune at 12:32 AM ET. I’m not kidding about the music; I challenge you to notice how many people on the streets are singing or humming out loud over the next few days. So that’s the pattern reflecting the potential beautiful escape, compassion or vision — and if you’re a creative or spiritual type with a planet around 18 degrees of just about any sign, you can take that vision to the bank. The Scorpio Moon travels through this day supported — not thwarted — by the other kids in the planetary playpen — use it or lose it. Meanwhile, Mars, planet of aggression and action, squares rebel Uranus at 1:59 PM ET. This is your potential daring initiative or tech breakthrough. A downside potential could involve seismic activity and other explosive outbursts. Moon goes void at 8:28 PM ET, so chill until…
- FRIDAY — when the Moon soars into Sagittarius at 11:05 AM ET, pusheing boundaries of opinion and territory. Get out of the house; get out of Dodge; get out of that state you’re in.
- SATURDAY — More of the same from Friday. You’re free to shop without worry that what you purchase will not serve as imagined until 9:31 PM ET, when the Moon goes void until…
- SUNDAY — at 7:05 PM ET, when it enters Capricorn and gets down to business. The Moon void may take the sting out of the power play or news from underground that coincides with the Sun’s annual face-off against Pluto, exact at 10:46 AM ET. History buffs can refer to these two forecasts from last July to review what was going on in the news on the last Sun-Pluto opposition. If you were born around the 10th of July, October, January or April, when was the last time you consulted with your astrologer? I know you’d have plenty to talk about…
The news will return in the next forecast. If you’re wondering about the timing of the big news about sex offender Jeffrey Epstein’s arrest on federal charges of sex trafficking, note that transiting Saturn is at 17 Capricorn, where it was on the last big burst of info on this story, noted here in March. We don’t have a birth time for Epstein’s obviously hot horoscope (Jan 20 1953 in Coney Island), but I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the missing components in the chart is around 17 degrees of Aries, Libra, Cancer or Capricorn. Perhaps transiting Saturn is putting the squeeze on a 17 Aries Moon or an angle? Meanwhile, here’s the latest from Intelligencer — and of course, the Miami Herald.
Thank you for reading this forecast. And thanks to Beth Owl’s Daughter for the fun Mercury retro/banana mash-up. Here’s her awesome Tarot Card of the Week.
***UPDATE*** The Forecast is on a brief Mercury retrograde hiatus, while your faithful astrologer focuses on other writing that must be done. I am available for consultation, should you need personal insights. Meanwhile, make the most of the Mercury retrograde’s potential for REview, REtreat, REvision, RElaxing and REconnecting. Stay tuned…