The Moon is in Taurus, at the very end of its cycle. In such times we may feel listless or restless, sensing that something new is just around the corner, but we don’t know what. With no light from the Moon, it’s a fine time for clandestine meetings or actions you’d rather see fly under the radar. If the air felt heavy overnight, you may have sensed the square between the Moon and Saturn, exact at 10:54 PM ET on Monday. It was the last aspect the Moon will make until 2:59 PM ET today(TUESDAY), when the Moon meets up with the Sun. Happy New Moon in Taurus!
Here’s what the chart looks like, set in Washington, D.C.:
- A Taurus Moon needs to plant seeds for creating material comfort and security. From the U.S.’s perspective, those seeds are being planted in the 9th house — dreams, publishing, travel, higher education, foreign affairs, court opinions and collective belief systems. With rebel Uranus on the cusp of 9th house — supported by a sextile from Mars — innovative action involving caring for families and homeland security may be one manifestation. Technology may be a key factor.
- The Ascendant–19 Virgo– is President Biden’s Midheaven. His professional status and reputation is key to this lunar cycle’s story.
- Neptune is heavily involved in the drama, as it was in the chart for the last Full Moon. Neptune upsides refer to compassion for human suffering, vision and healing. On the downside, Neptune refers to batsh*t craziness, drugs and deception. In general, Neptune refers to oil, oceans, film and spirits of all kinds.
- Neptune is sextile the Sun and Moon, adding visionary potential to initiatives intended to build material security.
- Chart ruler Mercury is high-functioning in Gemini and it is trine to Saturn. This is a good week to make that pitch!! Your ideas can be structured for the benefit of all.
- The Sabian Symbol for this New Moon is “a white dove flies over troubled waters.“ Some interpretations say the dove is “fearless” in its flight, and that this symbol reflects the peaceful, contented potential of Sun-Moon in Taurus, in harmony with “oil on troubled waters” Neptune. I’m fascinated by Blain Bovee’s suggestion (see the preceding link) that this symbol may suggest rising above a situation that has become toxic, trusting that if left alone, the toxicity will resolve on its own. Lynda Hill, another Sabian expert, also argues that the white dove suggests that help is on the way. Therefore, be proactive in seeking whatever support your quest for material security requires.
After the New Moon at 2:59 PM ET, Moon sextiles Neptune. Note your dreams, even if you’re awake.
- WEDNESDAY: Excess or simple exuberance greets us in the morning, as Moon squares Jupiter at 8:22 AM ET. Practical chatter is favored, as the Moon enters Gemini at 8:42 AM ET, looking for hardcore facts. The aforementioned Mercury-Saturn trine is exact at 2:33 PM ET. After its encounter with sobering — yet productive — reality, the rest of the day is driven by a need for diverse flirtations, aided by the Moon’s meet-up with Venus in Gemini at 6:20 PM ET. Imagination is sparked by the sextile of the Sun and Neptune, exact on…
- THURSDAY: …at 1:44 AM ET. More practical planning and outreach can be accomplished today, supported by the Gemini Moon’s trine to Saturn and conjunction with Mercury at 12:02 PM ET and 2:31 PM ET. The biggest planetary shift happens at 6:35 PM ET, when Jupiter dips its toe into Pisces until July 29th. Jupiter refers to expansion and reward, and for the next several weeks, watch how expansion impacts Pisces-ruled concerns, including feet, empathy, surrender, oceans, oil, refugees, spirits and other escapist tactics, suicides, suffering, soulfulness, and plenty of other things listed here. Jupiter is the traditional ruler of Pisces, which means it functions well in this sign. It’s good news for people looking to choose a time to do certain things. Those affected more personally during this Jupiter-in-Pisces sneak peek are those born in the last several days of Aquarius, Leo, Taurus, and Scorpio, as well as those born in the first three days of Pisces, Gemini, Sagittarius, and Virgo. Jupiter turns retrograde on June 20th (at 2 Pisces); it turns direct on October 18th (at 22 Aquarius), and re-enters Pisces on December 28th. Meanwhile, get it off your desk today, as the Moon will be void on…
- FRIDAY: ….starting at 6:50 AM ET, right after it squares wiggy Neptune. Note your dreams and then chill, chill, chill. Moon won’t enter the next sign —Cancer– until 9:30 PM ET. Until then, stick to routine concerns (i.e., resist launching an important enterprise), and roll with the twists and flakes that may disrupt efforts to move forward in a straight line. Remember that crises that crop up during voids are often much ado about nothing. CHILL — and if you can clock out early today, go for it.
- SATURDAY: Moon in Cancer seeks the comforts of home and family. Plan accordingly. Moon’s sextile to Uranus at 8:34 PM ET could include a few friends. Note the potential for provocation as we get closer to…
- SUNDAY: …at 1:05 AM ET, when the security-defending, sensitive drive of the Cancer Moon meets up with action-hero Mars. Humming in the background all week and this weekend are certain easy efforts to consolidate power among the Powers That Be, suggested by a trine to Pluto from the Sun, exact at 5:48 AM ET on Monday. Meanwhile, Mercury officially enters its shadow period today, as it prepares to turn retrograde on May 30th. “Shadow period” means that whatever Mercury-ruled matters are acted upon between now and the 30th (e.g., documents released, contracts signed) are subject to review, as Mercury will retrace its path when it turns retrograde. It also means that Mercury is slowing down, and your thought processes should slow down, too. Clear?
If you find these forecasts of value, you are cordially invited to support them with Faithful Monthly or Joyful Random Expressions of Appreciation. If you’re thinking, “Hell, yes! I do find these forecasts Really Useful!” and you happen to make use of the Cosmic Tip Jar, you will make my day.
And now, the news.
Stories reflecting the bewildering potential of Neptune running wild were rampant, especially in the United States, where Neptune is activating the U.S. Mars-Neptune square. Avid Readers will recall that this square symbolizes America’s idealization of cowboys, guns, soldiers, and its own ego (i.e., “American exceptionalism,” as astrologer Bill Herbst skeptically explains), as well as Hollywood fantasies, its notion of the “American Dream,” the current opioid crisis, and cults of all kinds. Last week’s trine between Venus and Pluto suggested we’d have stories of women and power plays, as well as intriguing “news from underground.” Here’s a sampling:
- “Cult Leader ‘Mother God’ Was Found Dead and Mummified. Why Are Her Followers Celebrating?”
- Thom Hartmann had a few things to say about Ayn Rand’s inspiration for Howard Roark, the hero of The Fountainhead, and OMG, it’s so bizarre…and who knew? Ayn Rand was an Aquarius, driven by an achievement-oriented Moon in Capricorn. Saturn exactly conjoined her Sun last week, so I’m not surprised by the harsh “reality check” now, nor is it surprising that Atlas Shrugged was the response thousands of people on Twitter gave to the question, “You’re on a first date, and they tell you the name of their favorite book. You immediately leave. What’s the book?” Astrology is amazing.
- There are big power plays involving the control of leadership in the Republican Party, and they currently involve Rep. Liz Cheney and Rep. Elise Stefanik. We don’t have birth times for either one (thus we are limited to what we can anticipate), but we do have a timed chart for Cheney’s father, former VP Dick Cheney. Like Ayn Rand, his Aquarius Sun is under the disruptive and streamlining influence of transiting Uranus and Saturn, so we can appreciate 1) why he may be feeling shocked and squeezed by his party’s effort to oust daughter Liz from her leadership post; and 2) how the power play is enabling both to be seen in a fresh new light, i.e., as defenders of truth and integrity. We can also appreciate how confounding it may feel for the former VP, as transiting Neptune is sitting right on his 22 Pisces Moon — and will be there off and on into 2022. The attacks on Liz last week occurred as transiting Mars conjoined her natal Mars at 10 Cancer, and she says she’s not backing down. In the language of astrology, a Mars return is an opportunity to initiate a new two-year course of action. Liz Cheney’s Mars sits right on top of would-be usurper Stefanik’s 10 Cancer Sun. This is an energizing connection, for better or worse. Stefanik’s Mars is 12 Scorpio (like President Biden’s), and it’s under the influence of Saturn and Uranus now and into next year. We see the potential for discipline, frustration, and daring action. What kind of daring actions? The kind of action Liz Cheney took when she reached out to former U.S. defense secretaries and convinced them to write an op-ed warning the military to stay out of politics, as it is now being reported. Liz Cheney was under the influence of a daring Uranus transit in January 2021.
- The Republican party’s horoscope — as I’ve mentioned before — is similar to the horoscopes of Israel and Boeing in that all three have transiting Pluto activating the Ascendant and the Midheaven. We see strong potential for breakdown, transformation, and power plays over the course of a few years, especially in matters of identity and public status. Pluto transits take time.
- “Republican senator says ’embarrassing’ Arizona recount ‘makes us look like idiots.'” Stephen Colbert has more on this bizarre story, including other bewildering happenings of the week (e.g., the effort to oust Cheney).
- For some reason, Salon published a piece about six documentaries about con artists.
- “Archaeologists uncover oldest human burial in Africa” Fascinating news from underground.
- WaPo exclusive: “The Making of a Myth” — an investigative report on the origin of The Big Lie (i.e., that the 2020 election was stolen); Heather Cox Richardson explains it here if you can’t access WaPo.
- Meanwhile, guess who else has Mars at 10 Cancer, and thus could be expected to launch a new two-year action initiative last week? Melinda Gates! Now it is being reported that she met with divorce attorneys in October 2019, after a report in the NYT revealed husband Bill’s connections with Jeffrey Epstein. It is also being reported that Melinda voiced objections to Bill’s relationship with Epstein back in 2013. Without a birth time, we don’t have an Ascendant and we don’t know if Melinda has her Moon in Scorpio or Sagittarius. But we can see that her Venus-Mars conjunction in Cancer would have been rocked by the disruptive Uranus-Pluto square in 2013, and perhaps some of that disruption involved a need to take a closer look at her values and finances (Venus) and her ability to assert herself (Mars). This tidbit is brought to you in response to Avid Reader Liz, who wanted to know why I didn’t take the time to mention Melinda’s horoscope last week.
Over the weekend Venus in Taurus squared Jupiter in Aquarius. Financial expansion and indulgence were anticipated, and the stock market reached yet another new high. Factor in a runaway Neptune, and you might have heard that Jeff Bezos has ordered a “super yacht” that’s longer than a football field and will cost $500 million. He’s also been selling boatloads of Amazon stock. We don’t have a birth time for Bezos, but we can see his horoscope was also activated by Mars at 10 Cancer last week.
Mars also activated the horoscope of Ben Affleck, whose Venus sits on his 8 Cancer Ascendant. Transiting Mars on Venus can spark romance, and for Affleck it “coincided” with a presumed romantic getaway with Jennifer Lopez, a former fiancee. No birth time is available for Lopez.
I leave you with this intriguing headline from New Scientist: “Measuring Time Accurately Increases Entropy in the Universe.” Entropy is defined by Professor Google as:
PHYSICS1. a thermodynamic quantity representing the unavailability of a system’s thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work, often interpreted as the degree of disorder or randomness in the system.
“the second law of thermodynamics says that entropy always increases with time”
2. lack of order or predictability; gradual decline into disorder.
“a marketplace where entropy reigns supreme”
What does this suggest for astrology, I wonder. What do you think?
Here’s the 411 on consultations. We will have an enlightening discussion together.
Thank you for reading this forecast.
Paris me manque.