Monday 1/16/2023: Sneak Peek at the Week; Mercury & Uranus Direct; Sun Conjunct Pluto; New Moon in Aquarius
And…we’re back. In New York, anyway.
Mercury is still retrograde, affording us all a chance to review, reorganize, reconnect and/or retreat. Mars is slowly moving forward after being retrograde since the end of October, and we’re seeing the anticipated focus on all things Mars (assertion, aggression, courage) in recent headlines. This week is the last week of retrograde motion among the planets. Next week, it’s forward march — and hopefully you planned ahead.
Highlights this week:
- Mercury turns direct on Wednesday.
- Sun makes its annual conjunction with Pluto on Wednesday.
- Sun enters Aquarius on Friday.
- New Moon in Aquarius on Saturday — a potent one.
- Venus conjunct Saturn on Sunday.
- Uranus turns direct on Sunday.
It goes like this:
- MONDAY: Moon is still in Scorpio, driving the day with a need for depth and substance, for the sake of power and control. Moon opposed Uranus at 10:16 AM ET, suggesting an upset to the status quo. For me, the upset was that I completely forgot about feeding the neighbor’s cat — because I was too busy searching for information that was ultimately empowering (Moon in Scorpio). Poor neighbor’s kitty didn’t get her breakfast until noon. My lapse in focus can also be seen in my own personal horoscope, as the Scorpio Moon met up with my Neptune. Astrology is amazing! The rest of this day is free and clear, save for Moon’s square to Venus at 2:08 PM ET. Someone’s need for depth and power challenges Venus in Aquarius’s more detached, humanitarian values.
- MONDAY: …is a holiday in the U.S., as we honor the birth of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. As MLK continues to be a powerful influence, it’s helpful to look at his horoscope for clues to challenges and opportunities each year. Last year, I wrote:
With transiting Pluto on MLK’s Sun all year — and on his MC for the next two years, he is in for a powerful transformation, for better or worse. The first exact hit of Pluto to his MC is on March 19. Looking at his horoscope, we also note that his Mercury is at 11 Aquarius — activated by transiting Uranus on March 6th. This is a critical time in MLK’s life development — and it doesn’t matter that he no longer walks the Earth. The horoscope lives forever — as this article explains. It’s interesting to see that MLK has a rare solar arc (another way astrologers measure time) between the Sun and the Midheaven, exact on January 15th. This usually suggests fulfillment, success, recognition and reward. Gosh, I hope so — because if MLK’s dream is not fulfilled, our democracy is toast. And speaking of dreams, transiting Neptune is currently squaring MLK’s Mars — which can really put a damper on one’s assertive energy.
- This year, transiting Pluto continues to activate MLK’s Midheaven, as noted above. Disruptive Uranus is at a virtual standstill almost exactly on his Taurus Ascendant, shaking up his image, for better or worse. Neptune has moved beyond his Mars and will square his Saturn in 2023. His authority and his professional status could become even more inspiring (upside). It could also be disorienting, as actual reality sinks in — and doesn’t live up to the dream. I do think his legacy will become more empowered as we move into 2024 — and in January 2025, it’s due for a reward. Isn’t it interesting that MLK’s Midheaven is conjunct the U.S. Pluto? His public status can’t help but be entwined with power in the United States.
- TUESDAY: Moon trines Neptune at 12:47 AM ET — enjoy the last hours of a dreamy long weekend. Moon squares Saturn at 2:27 AM ET, presenting night owls with a possible feeling of loss or necessary control. Process the loss and turn it into a strategy to get what you want, especially if you’re awake between 6 AM ET and 9 AM ET, when the Moon is in harmony with the Sun and Pluto. If you’re late getting back to the office, no biggie. The Scorpio Moon will be void between 9:26 AM ET and 12:32 PM ET, and then it soars into Sagittarius. Righteous opinions and boundary-pushing enthusiasm rule the day, as the Sag Moon trines Jupiter at 6:41 PM ET. As the evening progresses, note the potential for outbursts as Moon opposes Mars at 2:38 AM ET on…
- WEDNESDAY. Focus, focus, FOCUS — especially in transit. Why? Because Mercury — which refers to thoughts, communication and transportation — turns direct at 8:11 AM ET. You are more personally affected by the shift if you have planets around 8 degrees of just about any sign. Mercury turns direct at 8 degrees of Capricorn…which is where it will turn retrograde on December 13th. Sounds like the Sabian Symbol for this degree would be good to know about, as it is clearly demanding our focus. It is “an angel carrying a harp.” Astrologer James Burgess opines that this Symbol calls our attention to being attuned. What channel are you listening to — or watching? A heavenly angel or a rapacious harpy? Who’s stringing us along, defining what’s what, hmm?
- WEDNESDAY: Today’s communication is especially focused and potent, reflecting the Sun (leaders, the heart, ego) as it makes its annual conjunction with Pluto (power and resources, as in the Powers That Be — and also what literally powers us around, e.g., gas, oil, nuclear stuff). Pluto refers to news from underground, some of which can be seismic. The “seismic” potential is echoed by Uranus, which — like Mercury this week — will slow to its station as it prepares to turn around. Avid Readers will recall that a planet slowing to a virtual standstill is reflected in the news like a blaring car horn. With Uranus, that car horn would be blaring rebellion, technology, genetic mutations, potential earthquakes, aviation issues, the avant garde, etc. — and often astrology.
- WEDNESDAY: Remember that the Moon is still in Sagittarius, needing to push boundaries. Take a walk in nature; go for a gamble or a gambol. Broaden your horizons. A sextile between Moon and Venus at 10:05 PM ET sweetens possibilities.
- THURSDAY: …oh and it may have been dreamy around 3:17 AM ET, as the Moon squared Neptune. The morning is devoted to making it real, as Moon sextiles Saturn at 5:08 AM ET...and then goes void for nine hours. You know the Moon void drill: don’t make a mountain out of a molehill; roll with the twists and flakes; stick to routine concerns. With the Moon in Sagittarius, you are forgiven if your focus happens to wander. Chill! At 2:11 PM ET, Moon shifts gears into Capricorn, now seeking to Make Things Happen — probably rebelliously, with Uranus at a virtual standstill, humming in the background. Might be grand, reflecting the Moon’s square to Jupiter (expansion), exact at 8:29 PM ET. Probably involves a sense of urgency in matters of governing bodies, with the Sun at the very last degree of Capricorn.
- FRIDAY: Sun enters Aquarius at 3:29 AM ET. Aquarius is an airy (mental), fixed (organizing) sign. A fixed sign can also be quite stubborn. Keywords for Aquarius include innovation, eccentricity, friendship, humanitarian, unconventional, rocket scientist and/or mad genius. If you were born with the Sun in Aquarius, you have the energy to innovate and intellectualize with others. If your Moon is in Aquarius, you need to be socially significant — and dare I say appreciated for it. You probably need to be unusual, too. If today is your birthday, you are definitely one to watch this year, as you’re the poster child for the Big Ginormous Changes — in our society, likely in sync with revolutionary technology — that are just over the horizon, i.e., the ingress of Pluto into Aquarius, where it has not been since 1777. Pluto enters Aquarius on March 24th — and we’ll be talking more about that before then.
- FRIDAY: We’re at the end of the lunar cycle, with little light from the Sun to guide us. It’s a fine time for clandestine meetings and things you’d prefer to be unseen. Getting together with your favorite group is favored this evening, as Moon trines Uranus at 1:54 PM ET.
- SATURDAY: …may dawn with a power play, reflecting the Capricorn Moon’s weekly clash with Pluto, exact at 10:52 AM ET. Take it slow during the 2 1/2 hour Moon void — and resist the temptation to pick up useless items at yard sales. Moon enters Aquarius at 1:28 PM ET, shifting our focus from one of Making Things Happen to one of networking and being appreciated for one’s unique social significance within the context of the group. The United States has Moon in Aquarius — perfectly reflected by the unique identity claimed by each of its 50 states within a collective nation.
Here is the chart for the New Moon in Aquarius, set in Washington, D.C. — and exact at 3:53 PM ET:
- Neptune is at the top of the chart, suggesting themes of inspiration, vision and/or wipe out, scandal with respect to the leaders of the country.
- Uranus is stationary direct, and the potential for upsets is echoed by the Sabian Symbol for this New Moon: “an unexpected thunderstorm.” Here’s what Blain Bovee has to say about that — and notice how he connects this Symbol to the one for the Scorpio New Moon/solar eclipse of October 2022 (here’s that forecast). That was also the week Elon Musk seriously began stinking up the joint as the self-proclaimed “Chief Twit.”
- Point is, we are likely to see key developments during this lunar cycle that are related to events that were hiding in plain sight back then. This New Moon in Aquarius is activating last October’s eclipse. Note that shortly after the October eclipse is when a teeny-tiny local newspaper in Long Island told the Entire Free World that then-congressional candidate George Santos was a total fraud — but no one was paying attention. That story should accelerate over the next few weeks.
- You are more personally affected by this New Moon if you are Hillary Clinton or have planets or angles around 2 degrees of Aquarius, Leo, Scorpio or Taurus. We live in such interesting times.
Back to the forecast for the week.
- SUNDAY: After a nite of potential good cheer, sponsored by a harmony between the Moon and Jupiter, the morning goes swimmingly enough, reflecting an easy flow between the Moon and Mars. In the headlines, whatever action flows together the night before and this morning may be disruptive. Why? Because the Moon will square Uranus at 12:49 PM ET. Surprise! This is followed by a sobering Venus conjunct Saturn in Aquarius, not known for its sense of humor. Venus-Saturn can be harsh in its efforts to streamline and control social expression, money, arts, women and worth. Venus-Saturn aspects also refer to women who mean business, cuts and losses. That happens at 5:12 PM ET, and at 5:58 PM ET, Uranus turns direct. Surprise!
Here is Beth Owl’s Daughter’s always-in-sync Tarot Card of the Week. It’s big one, like current planetary patterns.
Will catch up on the news in the next forecast. There’s so much to talk about!
Here’s the 411 on personal consultations. I have yet to find a more useful tool for understanding why people are the way they are and why things happen when they do. Let’s talk, see where you’re at — and where you’re likely to be going — from an astro-logical perspective.
Thank you for reading this forecast.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!